A year from now, I made a huge change concerning my habits. Indeed, I’m a night owl : night quietness inspires me so much ! Then, why to change it ? Well, because my lifestyle was totally upside down. For instance, I hated not having a proper breakfast in the morning, when I woke up at 1 pm. It was a vicious circle where you get up late so you go to bed late. Most of all, I did not sleep well at all and I had a very hard time waking up.
For most people, being productive since the start of the day is totally fine, but for me it took some practice. I was also pleased to have some spare time in the evening.
Here is my advice based on my personal experiences :
- Having an early dinner (6-7 pm) works wonders for me. That way I fall asleep ealier and wake up in the morning as I am hungry for breakfast.
- Having a good night’s sleep helps a lot too. I really believe that sleeping before midnight really improves your sleep quality. To take most advantage of those before-midnight hours, I suggest you to put away all your electronic devices. A relaxing activity (such as reading a book, writing, taking a bath, making a to-do list for the next day) indicates your brain that you’re ready for sleep.
- Visualize the next day. When you’re finally in the dark, take a moment to think positively about how things will take place tomorrow morning. (First, I’ll take a quick shower, then I’ll have my breakfast and I’ll go trough my e-mails.) It is going to help you to become unconsciously aware of your moring activities, without thinking genuinely at it. Thus you’ll get up faster.
- Set the alarm across the room. This way you’ll get up to turn it off !
- Set a morning routine which pleases you. It will allow you to become used to wake up at the same time every day. Trust me it works if you’re constant ! For instance, my personal perfect morning routine includes : breakfast, sport for 30 min, shower time and preparing my lunch for Uni. If you want a more in-depth morning routine or some easy breakfast ideas, please let me know in the comments and I’ll post them 🙂 .
I hope my tips have helped you, and if you have tried some of them or if you want to share your own, please feel free to comment !